An afternoon fire on October 4, 2013 damaged an old historically renowned train station which was a classic well preserved remnant of the heyday of the Erie Railroad.
The "Enderlin" Station, originally called Cornwall West until officially renamed in 1909, was originally built in 1869 on what had once been known as the Erie Shortcut between Vails Gate and the Erie Main Line at Harriman N.Y. and provided Cornwall with its first ever passenger rail service.
The original station burned in the 1880 and was replaced with the structure that burned.
The Vails Gate Fire Department extinguished the blaze. The station is located on private property in Cornwall Coal & Supply Company Yard located on Station Road in Cornwall and was actually being utilized by the Coal Yard for business purposes.
The building sustained heavy water and smoke damage but is repairable.